Care Costs for Couples

You probably already know that care home fees are a big concern for many people. 


Did you know that if you go into care the Local Authority can take almost all you have worked hard for. Only the last £16,000 or so is protected. And that includes the house.


And there is a trap for couples. Even if you are not married. 


What usually happens is that one of you dies and everything goes to the survivor. 


When the survivor dies everything goes to the children (or other beneficiaries).


But if the survivor goes into care (which is common) he or she will own the whole lot (the house and the money) and it is all vulnerable for care costs. 


That’s what happens if you have an ordinary Will or no Will at all.


The good news is that McClure can fix that.


We can protect at least half of the estate (both house and money) by simply changing your Wills. 


We can even prepare a special Will if you don’t have one. There are 2 options available. 


The only time this will not work is if both of you go into care but that is most unusual.


McClure is an award winning company.  We were founded in 1853.  We have 14 offices across the UK.  We are partnered with over 170 charities. So we think you can trust us. 


So why not arrange a chat with one of our estate planning consultants. 


Our advice is free and home visits are available.


Make an Appointment

  • All you have to do is call 0800 852 1999 and quote "Google - Care Costs for Couples" or email us and we will take it from there.

Free home visits are available during office hours.

Are you confused about care costs?  Many people are. And it’s no wonder. 

A lot of advice is confusing and contradictory and – often – it’s just plain wrong.

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • Twitter - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle
Not Made A Will Yet?

"I would like to take this opportunity to extend my thanks to you, on behalf of Trevor's family, for your professional and friendly assistance in the handling of his estate. Your guidance was particularly appreciated for me, a novice in these matters


Should I be asked, would not hesitate to recommend McClure Solicitors"

Miss R

Please reload

Act now to save later.
Arrange a free consultation today.

0800 852 1999

Call our dedicated appointments line today or complete the form provided to arrange your first meeting with McClure. It will cost you nothing and could save you and your loved ones money, time and hassle.

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey LinkedIn Icon

Aberdeen | Bath  |  Birmingham  | Cardiff  |  Edinburgh  |  Exeter  |  Glasgow  |  Inverclyde  | Leeds |  Liverpool  |  London  |  Newcastle  |  Plymouth  |  Southport  |  Truro

Appointments (Freephone) 0800 852 1999  |  General Enquiries (Local Rates) 0845 450 2408  |  Email

To read about how we handle your personal data, please view our Privacy Notice

Find out more about our Terms of Business

WW & J McClure Trust Corporation’s Terms & Conditions

Copyright © McClure Solicitors 2020. All Rights Reserved

W W & J McClure Ltd trading as McClure Solicitors.

Directors: Andrew J Robertson, Stewart Moore & Stephanie Hutton

Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (Reg No 618692)

Authorised and Regulated by the Law Society of Scotland (Reg No 19114)